Awardee’s Name Title of Award Date Place Award Giving Body 2002 Asuncion K. Raymundo Achievement Award in Research
Elected as Academician by the National Academy Science and Technology
July 10-11, 2002
Adelina A. Barrion 2002 Most Outstanding Entomologist Davao Philippine Association of Entomology Ivan Marcelo A. Duka 2002 CSSP Achievement Award in Teaching Manila CSSP 2003 Cleofas R. Cervancia 2002 Civil Service Commission LINGKOD Bayan Award Manila Civil Service Commission Ludivina S. de Padua 2003 UPAA Outstanding Professional Award Mar-03 UPLB UPAA Nina M. Cadiz 2003 CAS Outstanding Senior Faculty ovember, 2003 CAS-UPLB CAS Asuncion K. Raymundo 2003 Service Awardee Philippine Society of Microbiology 2004 Arcelia A. Alejar 2003 NRCP Achievement Awardee in Biology May-04 Manila Hotel National Research Council of the Philippines Virginia C. Cuevas 2004 NRCP Achievement Award NRCP, Manila National Research Council of the Philippines Asuncion K. Raymundo 2005 National Republica Award Oct. 7, 2005 CHED, Manila Commission on Higher Education Lorenzo V. Baluyot 2005 Lingkod Bayan Award Sept. 28, 2005 CCP, MM Civil Service Commission Nina M. Cadiz UPLBAA-CASAA Outstanding Alumna for Teaching October, 2004 UPLB UPLBAA-CASAA 2005 Milagrosa R. Martinez-Goss 2005 Outstanding Researcher Awardee 4-Mar-05 Maquiling Ballroom, UPLB University of the Philippines Los Baños Asuncion K. Raymundo 2005 National Republica Award Oct. 7, 2005 CHED, Manila Commission on Higher Education Celia B. dela Viña 2005 CAS-AA Distinguished Alumnus Award for Teaching Oct. 9, 2005 Umali Hall, UPLB University of the Philippines Los Baños Netzie N. Bebing 2nd Prize Likha Award Outstanding Creative Research 2005 National Invention Contest Nov. 17-21, 2005 DOST, Manila DOST Danilo C. Balboa 2005 Outstanding Administrative (Blue Collar Personnel Category) Award 4-Mar-05 SU, UPLB University of the Philippines Los Baños Lorenzo V. Baluyot 2005 Lingkod Bayan Award Sept. 28, 2005 CCP, Metro Manila Civil Service Commission 2006 Ma. Vivian C. Grageda 2006 NAST-DoPont Talent Search for Young Scientist (Marine Science) 13-Jul-06 Manila Hotel NAST-DuPont Ma. Genaleen Q. Diaz 2006 Outstanding Young Scientist (OYS)Award in the Field Genetics 13-Jul-06 Manila Hotel NAST Rita P. Laude 2006 Dr. Eusebio Y. Garcia Award for Molecular Biology and Molecular Pathology 21-Jul-06 Philippine Trade Training Center UP 2006 MS Swaminathan Outstanding Research Awardee 28-Jul-06 Los Baños Los Baños Science Community Foundation, Inc. Merlyn S. Mendioro 2006 UPLB Outstanding Teacher Award 2006 UPLB UPLB Maximo D. Tandang 2006 Outstanding Administrative( Blue Collar Category) 2006 UPLB UPLB Cleofas R. Cervancia Dr. William D. DAR Research and Development Award 2006 DAR DAR 2007 Damasa M. Macandog 2007 UPB Outstanding Researcher Award 2006 UPLB UPLB Asuncion K. Raymundo 2007 UPAA Outstanding Professional Awardee in the Field of Natural Sciences-Biology (Microbiology) UPAA UP Diliman Pablo P. Ocampo Outstanding CAS Senior Faculty 2007 CAS UPLB Martina A. Nepomuceno Outstanding CAS Administrative Personnel 2008 Ms. Martina A. Nepomuceno 2008 UPLB Outstanding Administrative Personnel
Award (Technician/Craftsman Category)
2008 UP Los Baños Prof. Juan Carlos T. Gonzalez UPLB Outstanding Teacher Award 2008 UP Los Baños Dr. Cleofas R. Cervancia
Dr. Rita P. Laude
Dr. Nenita E. Tapay
Prof.Hazel L. Gaza
Prof. Noel G. Sabino
Prof.Ma. Carmina C. Manuel
Prof Analinda C.Manila-Fajardo
Prof. Charina Gracia B. Banaay
Prof Aimee Lyn A. Barrion Dupo
Prof Rodelina C. Deyto
Ms. Rosalina N. Tandang
Ms.Milagrosa J. Masacupan
UPLB Bee Program Receipnt of the Civil Service Commission PAG-ASA AWARD (Team Category) Dr. Virginia C. Cuevas 2008 Metro Bank Foundation Outstanding Teacher Awardee Tertiary Level 2008 Manila Hotel Metro Bank Foundation Dr. Cleofas R. Cervancia Recipient of the Civil Service 2008 Manila Hotel Civil Service Commission 2009 Virginia C. Cuevas UPAA Distinguished Alumni Awardee in Science and Technology 2009 UPAA UPAA Lucille C. Villegas NAST Outstanding Young Scientist in the Filed of Microbiology 2009 Manila NAST Enrique D. Talag UPLB Outstanding Personnel (Office Personnel Category) 2009 UPLB UPLB Maximo D. Tandang Presidential Lingkod Bayan Awardee 2009 Malacañan Palace Civil Service Commission Olivio E. Matalog UPLB Outstanding Personnel (Blue Collar Office Personnel Category) 2009 UPLB UPLB 2010 Dr.Macrina T. Zafaralla NAST-HUGH Greenwood Environment Science Award Best Lecuture Presentor 2010 Palawan State university Palawan State University Dr. Maribel D. Sese UPLB Outstanding Teacher Award 2010 UPLB UPLB Mr.Danilo C. Balboa UPLB Outstanding Administrative Personnel (Blue Collar Category) 2010 UPLB UPLB 2011 Dr. Arcelia A. Alejar 2011 UPAA Alumna Award for Science and Technology 2011 UPLB UPLB Prof. Juan Carlos T. Gonzalez 2011 Outstanding Young Scientist in the Field of Zoology 2011 UPLB NAST Dr. Macrina T. Zafaralla NRCP Achievement Awardee 2011 UPLB UPLB 2012 Dr.Leticia E. Afuang Outstanding Extension Award 2012 UPLB UPLB Dr. Virginia C. Cuevas NAST HUGH Greenwood Environment Science Award 2012 UPLB UPLB
Licensure Examination Passing Rate
Currently, Mr. Jeffrey D. Magtibay is the second placer for the Secondary level of the Licensure Examination for Teacher (LET). Further, the UPLB graduates also got the 100% passing rate taken this year (2012).
Number of CAS Graduates with honors (for the past 10 years)
YEAR cum laude magna cum laude summa cum laude 2012 51 4 0 2011 61 5 0 2010 58 13 1 2009 50 13 2 2008 46 11 0 2007 64 8 1 2006 62 4 2 2005 60 14 1 2004 44 3 1 2003 46 11 0 2002 34 8 1
Department of Social Sciences
Name Award Mr. Rolando E. Maningas 2002 CAS Outstanding Junior Faculty Dr. Gloria Luz M. Nelson 2002 UPLB Outstanding Teacher Award in the Social Sciences and Humanities Ma. Leoncia B. Villaluz 2004 CAS Outstanding Administrative Staff Ronaldo M. Vibal 2005 CAS Outstanding Administrative Staff Dr. Arleen H. Saniano 2006 UPLB Outstanding Teacher Award in the Social Sciences and Humanities Ms Ma. Eloisa Z. Martinez 2007 Gawad Felicisimo T. San Luis
Natatanging Kabataang Propesyonal ng Laguna
Dr. Nenita E. Tapay 2008 PAGASA Award by the Civil Service Commission
CAREER PROSPECTS AND DISTINGUISHED ALUMNI
INSTITUTE OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
Dr. Eliezer A. Albacea, NAST Academician
Prof. Jaderick P. Pabico, NAST Outstanding Young Scientist
DEPARTMENT OF HUMANITIES:
Career Prospects: Possible job opportunities for BA Communication Arts graduate include (but not limited to) the following:
MAJOR IN WRITING MAJOR IN SPEECH COMMUNICATION MAJOR IN THEATER ARTS Information editor/writer Speech trainor
Stage set designer
Stage costume designer
Editorial assistant Speech writer Actor/actress Copy writer Broadcaster Scriptwriter
Career prospects for BA Philosophy graduates are usually in the fields of research and teaching, and most pursue a law degree after finishing their undergraduate degree.
List of CAS Alumni holding key positions in the government or those who have been famous:
NAME/COURSE KEY POSITION IBS Lizbeth S. De Padua, M.D.
B.S. BIO, major in Cell Biology
(Summa cum laude), 1976
· Epileptologist – MINCEP Epilepsy Care , Minneapolis , Minnesota ( 2007- present)
· Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor – Department of Neurology , University of Minnesota (2009-present)
Cynthia T. Hedreyda, Ph. D.
B.S. BIO, major in Cell Biology, 1976
· Director- National Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, UP Diliman Cymbeline Tancongco – Culiat, Ph.D.
B.S. BIO major in Cell Biology (cum laude) , 1982
M.S. Genetics (UPLB)
PhD in Biomedical Sciences
(ORNL- University of Tennessee as a full scholar of ORNL and the Hilton-Smith Fellowship)
· Founder , Chief Scientific Officer and Chairman- Scientific Advisory Board
· Dr. Culiat is the inventor of various patents related to the clinical applications of the Nell1 protein in skeletal muscle wound healing and treatment of cardiovascular disorders. These patents were exclusively licensed to NellOne on a worldwide basis.
· Adjunct faculty member of the College of Arts and Sciences, Graduate School of Genome Sciences and Technology at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville
Nora Lyssa V. Lapitan, Ph.D.
B.S. BIO, major in Cell Biology, 1978,
M.S. and Ph.D. from Kansas State University
· Professor- Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Colorado State University and the Cell and Molecular Biology Program at Colorado State University
· Director of the BREAD program for the National Science Foundation that is funded by NSF and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (Washington DC).
Leopold L. Ilag, Ph.D.
B.S.BIO major in Genetics , 1991 (magna cum laude)
Ph.D. in Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics from the Nobel Prize-awarding Karolinska Institute in Sweden,EMBO Postdoctoral Fellow, Max Planck Institute for Biochemistry Martinsried, Germany
· Director- Stockholm University Proteomics Facility
· A wild species of Hoya hound in the island of Luzon (Hoya ilagii) has been named after the Ilag family. The cited reason for this recognition can be read in the etymology published in the Asian Journal of Life Sciences.
Lawrence L. Ilag, Ph.D., J.D.
B.S. BIO major in Cell Biology, 1987 ( summa cum laude, GWA=1.04)
Ph.D. Yale University, 1993
Harvard Law School
Associate Office: Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP, 901
New York Ave NW, Washington DC)
· Dr. Larry Ilag practice patent prosecution and litigation, primarily in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical areas. He has extensive technical experience in the molecular biology, genomics, biochemistry, and genetics, especially in bacterial and plant systems. Leodevico L. Ilag, Ph.D
B.S. BIO major in Genetics, 1985(magna cum laude)Ph.D. Microbiology and Immunology at Univ. of Tennessee Center for Health Sciences, 1991
· Chief Scientific Officer, Horizon Science Pty Ltd, Australia. Former Chief Operating Officer- Patrys Ltd.
· He co-founded Xerion Pharmaceuticals AG (Munich, Germany) in 1998 and served as its Managing Director and Chief Scientific / Technology Officer until 2004 where he was responsible for the R&D, business development and operations. His research background includes cardiovascular disease and cancer, Cryptome’s primary disease targets.
Ma. Concepcion R. Nierras, Ph.D.
B.S.BIO major in Genetics (magna cum laude)
Ph.D. Genetics at University of Wisconsin
Worked at Oxford University and at Albert Einstein College of Medicine
· Director of Research, Scientific Affairs, for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF). She serves as the liaison to JDRF’s partner funding organizations, and has helped develop, implement, and evaluate partnerships with international funding agencies, including the Wellcome Trust, the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD), the Canadian Federal Development Agency, and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) of Australia. Marie serves as program officer for genetics consortia co-supported by the US National Institutes for Health. She works with other JDRF program scientists on initiatives such as common mechanisms in autoimmune systems, stem cell research, and initiatives in diabetic nephropathy. Eric Dennis C. Legaspi, M.D.
B.S. BIO major in Cell Biology , 1982 ( summa cum laude)
· Neurosurgeon- St. Luke’s Medical Center , Quezon City
· Neurosurgeon- Manila Doctor’s Hospital , U.N. Ave. Manila
· Neurosurgeon- Department of Pediatrics, Neurosurgery Department, Capitol Medical Center Inc., Quezon City.
Benildo G. Delos Reyes, Ph.D.
B.S.BIO major in Genetics, 1985
· Assistant Professor of Plant Molecular Genetics, School of Biological Science, University of Maine. Joven Jeremius Q. Tanchuco, M.D.
B.S.BIO major in Genetics, 1979 (magna cum laude)
· Medical director of PHAP member GlaxoSmithKline, Philippines Ernelea R. Palo, Ph.D.
BS.BIO major in Genetics, 1977
· Director- U.P. National Science Research Institute
· Deputy Director- Philippine Genome Center
Leocadio S. Sebastian, Ph.D.
B.S.BIO major in Genetics, 1983
Ph.D. Plant Breeding and Genetics, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
· Regional Director in Asia Pacific Oceania, Biodiversity International -2008-present
· Former Director – PhilRice 2000-2008
· He was a recipient of national and international awards such as Pantas (Sage) Awards for Research Management, JICA Presidential Award, Outstanding Young Men (TOYM) and Outstanding Young Scientist in Plant Breeding. He was also conferred the rank of Career Executive Officer 1 (CESO-1 highest rank in Philippine Civil Service) in 2003.
INSTAT Romeo S. Recide
MS Statistics, 1998
· Director – Bureau of Agricultural Statistics, DA
· Chair – Steering Group for Agricultural Statistics, UN (Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific) ESCAP Committee on Statistics
Dalisay S. Maligalig
MS Statistics, 1979
· Senior Statistician – Asian Development Bank (ADB) Edsel A. Peña
B.S Statistics , 1979 (cum laude)
M.S. Statistics, 1982
· Professor – Department of Statistics, University of South Carolina Columbia, SC 29208 USA Eliezer A. Albacea
B.S. Statistics, 1981 (cum laude)
· Professor- Institute of Computer Science, University of the Philippines Los Baños
· Academician- National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST)
· World-renowned computer scientist; first and only computer scientist inducted in the Philippines’ National Academy of Science and Technology
· Developed optimal parallel algorithms for problems on graphs and of new basic techniques for programming shared-memory parallel computers.
Jessamy O. Encarnacion
· Director- Social Statistics Office, NSCB Wifredo E. Cabezon
B.S. Agriculture major in Statistics
· Assistant Director- Bureau of Soils and Water Management Felino P. Lansigan
B. S. Agriculture (Statistics), 1975
MS Statistics, 1977
Ph.D. in Statistics (Hydrology and Water Resources) , 1992
· Professor- Institute of statistics, University of the Philippines Los Baños
· Co-recipient- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) 2007 Nobel Peace Prize
· 2009 National Academy of Science and Technology (NAST) Hugh Greenwood Environmental Science Award
Cynthia S. Bantilan
B.S. Statistics, 1979
· Research Program Director- Markets, Institutions and Policies, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) DHUM Aidel Paul G. Belamide
BA Communication Arts
(summa cum laude)
· First ever Summa Cum Laude of the BACA program
· Ten Outstanding Students of the Philippines
· Ten Outstanding Jose Rizal Model Students of the Philippines
Layeta P. Bucoy
BA Communication Arts, 1996
· Faculty- Humanities Dept., CAS, UPLB
· Prize-winning Writer
John Joseph E. Consulta
BA Communication Arts, 2000
· Senior News Correspondent GMA News and Public Affairs Rodrigo “Jiggy” D. Manicad Jr.
BA Communication Arts, 1994
· Senior News Producer and Host, Anchor GMA News and Public Affairs Genes S. Navera
BA Communication Arts, 1998
· Lecturer- Centre for English language Communication, National University of Singapore Oscar E. Oida
BA Communication Arts, 1998
· Senior News Producer and Anchor GMA News and Public Affairs Ma. Encarnacion V. Quadra
BA Communication Arts, 1985
· Managing Director- MQ Mediazone Productions TVTV Enterprise Bum D. Tenorio Jr.
BA Communication Arts, 1991
· Creative Director and Columnist , The Philippine Star Mimi L. Aquino- Santos
BA Communication Arts, 1990
· Chief-Registry of Deeds, Lipa City Bernadita L. Catalla
BA Communication Arts, 1979
· Minister and Consul- Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines Jakarta, Republic of Indonesia Alexander Cortez
BA Communication Arts, 1976
· Artistic Director- Dulang UP Mario Dumaual
BA Communication Arts, 1980
· Senior Entertainment Correspondent, ABS-CBN Mark Francis C. Hamoy
BA Communication Arts, 1993
· Consul- Embassy of the Republic of the Philippines Amman, Jordan Diane Jorolan
BA Communication Arts,1997
· Assistant Producer- CNBC Asia Juliet Labog Javellana
BA Communication Arts,1989
· Day Desk Editor/ Reporter- Philippine Daily Inquirer Rosanna Ladaga Llenado
BA Communication Arts, 1991
· President- AHEAD Learning Systems, Inc. Fr. Ruel F. Lero, SVD.
BA Communication Arts, 2010
· Vice President for Academic Affairs- Holy Name University Mona Lisa Manalo
BA Communication Arts, 1984
· Head- Regulatory Matters and Entertainment Laws, ABS-CBN Eduardo R. Pilapil Jr.
BA Communication Arts, 1993
· CEO- Achievers Circle Inc.
· Speaker and Business Consultant/ Coach
Ma. Cecilia I. Royo
BA Communication Arts, 1986
· Vice President for Operations and Client Services- Unitel Productions, Inc. April Robillos
BA Communication Arts, 1984
· Study Abroad Adviser- Purdue University Maria Luisa Culiat Sadorra
BA Communication Arts, 1978
· Senior Lecturer- Center for English Language Communication, National University of Singapore Benito M. Vergara Jr.
BA Communication Arts, 1989
· Anthropologist ( Ph.D. Cornell University)
· Movie Blogger
DSS Hon. Teodoro Casiño House of Representatives